County Museum is composed of the Town Museum and the House of Aca Stanojević, Archeo-ethnic Park in Ravna and the ancient site Timacum Minus.
The Town Museum is housed in Knjaževac, Karadjordjeva 15th. The building is in the downtown and was built as a semi-family residential building owned by Sibinović family, former owners of the Timok mine ''Dobra sreća''. It was built in 1906. and it belongs to the cultural heritage of civic architecture from the Art Nouveau style , the important period from the beginning of the twentieth century.
The museum's permanent exhibition consists of archaeological, ethnological, historical, artistic, natural historic and geologic section. Chronologically and thematically are presented pieces from Knjaževac area from earliest prehistoric times until today. Particularly noteworthy is the most important ethnographic collection two-knitting woolen socks, unique in the world, which is exposed as a separate section- the Museum of socks as a part of the permanent collection. In the archaeological section there are some very important and significance pieces from the ancient site Timacum Minus.
Address: Karađorđeva 15
Phone / fax: 019731407, 019730665
Contact person: Milena Milosevic Micić, curator
Museum of Knjaževac
Town Museum of Knjaževac is located in Home of Aca Stanojević, Radical leader and president of the National Assembly of Serbia. The house is a monument, built in 1910. inspired by Italian villas. The upper floor ambience is shown civic interior from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. The exhibits of cultural and artistic value are all personal items of Aca Stanojević and his family and some of the exhibits are received as gifts from the old Knjaževac families, Knjaževac the former Gurgusovac was one of the oldest towns in Serbia. The lower floor, the gallery space held various museum activities - literary and musical evenings, various lectures and so on.
Ethno-archaeological Park in Ravna
Ethno-archaeological Park is located in the village Ravna on the road to Zaječar, 8 km north from Knjaževac in the yard of a village school which is itself a monument. To the choice of this village for the accommodation of Ethno-archaeological Park was also were influenced by to the ancient fort Timacum Minus which is near of this place.
As one part of this park is a research station, in village school, primarily intended for teams of students, scholars and scientists of various profiles (ethnologists, archaeologists); lapidarium with exposed Roman stone monuments that were found during the archaeological researches, ethno-park in which were reconstructed village household from the end of the twentieth century in one aim to present and foster the traditional way of building. This household consists - the House form Gornja Kamenica, in whose basement was formed the Museum of wine with wine, the House from Berčinovac , barn and kettle for brandy making form Stara Planina mountain, in the process of forming is the Museum of traditional economic activities in the open.
Timacum Minus (Ravna, Kuline and Gradište) is the oldest military fortress in Timok area. The site is located near the village of Ravna, north from Knjaževac on the Beli Timok river bank. The fort and the accompanying settlement are from the first century AD and continued until recovery of the empire of Justinian in the sixth century.
The first studies were started from 1899 (Anton and von Premerštajn and Nikola Vulić), studies were restarted while in 1975. under the sponsorship of the Archaeological Institute in Belgrade and the Museum of Knjaževac.
The inner of fort was filled with buildings (Granary - Horreum, Command Building - Principia ...). The civilian settlement (Vicus), was developed with the military camp, mostly along the road from the south, coming from Nais, which led to the settlement. Near the fort, on the slope of the hill Sloga, were discovered two Roman necropolis with numerous findings and grave goods (jewelry, pottery and glass vessels, coins, etc.).. On the bank of the Beli Timok hundred yards from the fort, was discovered one Roman bath - Terme. In the southwestern corner of the fort are the remains of another one Roman bath.
Archaeological material from this site is mostly in the County Museum Knjaževac and in the Ethno-archaeological Park in which is formed lapidarium.
Karađorđeva 15, 19350 Knjaževac
Phone / fax: 019 731 407
Director: Milan Živković